Burns & McDonnell is accepting applications for a Section Manager (Houston, TX).
This position is responsible for the direction and leadership of the Construction Coordinators and Assistant Construction Managers (APM) Section of the Construction Operations Department within Ref-Chem. Areas of responsibility include general roles and special projects supporting the overall Ref-Chem Construction Operations Department with specific roles relative to the APM Section including the following, with other duties as assigned by senior management. This includes supporting and executing business strategy, developing high performance teams, and promoting the Ref-Chem culture, values, and mission. The Section Manager will lead the section in a dynamic and profitable manner based on Ref-Chem’s core values of client satisfaction, commitment, dedication, integrity, safety, and overall outstanding service.
- Provide leadership to the team; direct and coordinate work assignments and review performance to ensure the efficient, cost-effective utilization of staff.
- Responsible for profitable growth of the section; ensuring staff levels, staff loading, and staff assignments meet project requirements while maintaining billable goals.
- Implement, apply and support company, global practice and/or regional office programs and initiatives; successfully navigating and managing change within the section.
- Achieve stated targets and standards for financial performance.
- Manage department budget and expenditure of funds.
- Prepare and present workload forecasting for staff monthly to the Director of Operations.
- Recruitment, development, training and retention of staff.
- Validate ACM’s proper usage company software, systems, policies and procedures
- Further develop construction standards to support the department needs.
- Responsible for conducting performance evaluation for department staff.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and instruction to the department.
- Responsible for interpreting policies, purposes, and goals of the organization to staff.
- Responsible for collaborating with estimating, business development managers, business line leads, project managers, and proposal production staff on proposals to secure work for staff.
- Review of staffing plans and the associated estimates development by the estimating department and monitor staffing needs through the life cycle of projects; working with Project Directors, GP Manager of Projects and Project Mangers to fill those needs.
- Work closely with projects’ Construction Managers, Site Managers, Project Controls Manager, Field Operations Management, Construction Directors, GP Manager of Projects, and Director of Operations to identify ACM needs, allocate ACM resources and streamline job duties of the project team to improve overall efficiency of project resources.
- Support or lead portions of department meetings; organize and lead meetings.
- Routine Site inspections to ensure staff is adhering to work processes, conduct audits, and provide support to teams.
- Responsible for overall QA/QC process adherence for staff.
- Ensure compliance with company and site safety policies.
- Responsible for diversity initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, architecture, construction or related degree from accredited program.
- Minimum 10 years related professional experience in project management and / or Engineering and Construction field.
- Previous leadership and/or management experience is preferable.
- Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to clearly and effectively present complex information to all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Position requires the ability to thoughtfully and positively influence, lead, and manage change.
- Must possess strong project management skills and a strategic perspective.
- Must be expert in the use of computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Physical / Cognitive Requirements:
Physical- Primarily an office working environment. Must have the ability to use repetitive hand motion and the ability to grasp and type using general office equipment. Must be able to sit for long periods of time, talk, hear, walk and stand.
Cognitive- Requires the ability to collect and analyze information to make decisions. Must have the ability to exercise sound judgment and solve problems; the ability to organize and prioritize responsibilities; the ability to read and apply financial and quantitative analysis; the ability to articulate and comfortable speaking in front of others; the ability to work under stressful situations, have good cognitive skills, maintain work accuracy, and the ability to concentrate on more than one task at a time. Must have the ability to understand and apply written/verbal instructions and the ability to delegate instructions.
Schedule / Travel:
40 hours per week, with travel to client or BMcD Family of Companies offices and project locations.
Burns & McDonnell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Burns & McDonnell is a family of companies with an unmatched team of 7,600 engineers, construction professionals, architects, technologists and scientists. Their singular mission since 1898 has been to make their clients successful. When they plan, design, permit, construct and manage projects worldwide, they do it like they own it.
Please click here to learn more and apply for this position.