Shannon & Wilson is accepting applications for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Burbank, CA; Denver, CO; Portland, OR)
- Perform geologic evaluations in support of geology, earthquake hazard, engineering geology, and geotechnical engineering studies.
- Design, plan, and perform field exploration, testing, and instrumentation programs.
- Perform geologic reconnaissance and mapping.
- Perform observation and testing during construction.
- Perform soil and rock slope stability analyses.
- Interpret soil samples geologically and construct geologic profiles
- Assist with proposal and report preparation.
- Interact and communicate with subcontractors, clients, and staff at all levels.
- Lead, mentor, oversee, and/or supervise engineers and other employees.
- Review technical and other reports, and calculations done by lower-level employees
- Support business development and marketing activities, including preparation of cost proposals and presentations to existing and prospective clients.
- Follow Shannon & Wilsons Quality Assurance policy.
- Follow and promote Shannon & Wilsons Health & Safety and Loss Prevention policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- MS Degree in Geology or Engineering Geology, supported by a BS degree in Geology or Engineering Geology.
- E.G., required
- 14+ years of experience performing geologic field explorations and studies.
- Mentoring and supervisory experience.
- Experience analyzing LiDAR data, including for geomorphic/landform features.
- Experience with field reconnaissance mapping for civil projects, including landslides.
- Geologic interpretation and analysis using soil and rock samples retrieved from explorations.
- Subsurface exploration techniques including hollow-stem auger drilling, mud rotary drilling, rock coring, and test pit/trench logging.
- Organizing, contracting with, and directing subcontractors a plus.
- Performing soil index property laboratory testing a plus.
- Construction observation and construction material testing of earthwork a plus.
- Pile/shaft foundation construction and retaining wall structure construction observation a plus.
- Basic computer skills: MS Word, Excel, and ESRI ArcGIS required; MS Access, desirable.
Typically, depending on an applicant’s education, experience, other qualifications they possess, if they are a fit for the company and local office culture, and the current business needs, an Entry-Level Geotechnical Engineer typically would be placed at a Shannon & Wilson Professional I, II, III, or IV level.
Shannon & Wilson is a 100-percent employee-owned, internationally recognized consulting firm dedicated to providing quality services in the fields of geotechnical engineering and the applied earth sciences. Founded in 1954, they have successfully completed projects of all sizes and budgets for both the public and private sectors throughout the US.
Shannon & Wilson provides local experience backed by national resources and expertise. They have a diverse staff of more than 300 engineers, they support personnel to provide flexible, rapid responses to clients’ needs. From 12 offices nationwide, Shannon & Wilson’s primary services encompass all aspects of geotechnical and environmental engineering.
For more information and to apply for this position click here.
Learn more about Shannon & Wilson here.