WATCO is accepting applications for a Switchman (Prattville, AL; Freeport and Seadrift, TX; Gillette, WY)
The Switchman will work with crews to perform the safe switching of railcars, using locomotive power, based on customer requests. Switch crews are responsible for performing jobs efficiently and following all company and customer safety rules and completing corresponding paperwork at the end of every shift. Show measurable improvement toward achieving and/or exceeding the performance expectations outlined by Location Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate predictable, reliable, and timely attendance.
- Follow written and verbal directions to complete assigned tasks on schedule.
- Read, write, and communicate in English & understand basic math.
- Learn from directions, observations, and mistakes and apply procedures using good judgment
- Inspects locomotive before run to verify specified fuel, sand, water, and all other requirements.
- Reads switching orders from designated person.
- Observes radio and hand signals in yard or in cab and operates locomotive in accordance with company and customer rules and regulations.
- Observes arm or lantern signal and moves controls to move locomotive backwards or forwards to switch and couple cars; or receives starting signal and moves control; such as throttle and air brakes to operate locomotive.
- Talks to crew or other yard workers via radio to give or receive switching information.
- May assist workers to throw switches or perform other activities involved when performing switching operations.
- Turns hand brake wheel or ratchet type brake as well as apply and release handbrakes.
- Observes track to detect obstructions.
- Inspects locomotive after run to detect damaged or defective equipment.
- Maintains records, number, origin, destination, and cargo of cars switched.
- May coordinate activities of switching crew from locomotive cab, or other on-site location.
- Raises coupling lever to couple or uncouple cars.
- Throws track switches to facilitate shunting of cars and signals
- Move cars, using lantern, hand signals or radio.
- Connects air hose to cars when making up trains by bending and applying force.
- Sits or rides in cab of locomotive to observe signals from other crew members.
- May make minor repairs to couplings, and air hoses and report any equipment requiring major repairs.
- Performs other duties as requested or required
Machines, Tools, Special Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment Used:
- Hammers, ratchets, chisel, pry bar, wrenches, and brushes.
- PPE; hard hat, vest, safety glasses, FR clothing, gloves, steel toed boots
Education and Experience:
|· High school education or general education development (GED).
· Ability to pass training and required testing.
Not only do we offer industry leading benefits, competitive pay, vacation and 401k, we also have a top of the line training program, Watco University, to educate our team members and help them to grow their career to the next level.
Watco Companies, LLC, is a leading transportation and supply chain logistics company. Meeting customer needs on a day-to-day basis has enabled Watco to continually grow throughout their nearly 40-year history. Today, Watco provides transportation; material handling and warehouse; design and development; repair and custom projects for customers throughout North America and Australia.
For more information and to apply for this position click here.