Rail Link Inc is accepting applications for Switchman (Stuttgart, AR)
The person in this position receives, relays, or acts upon oral, written, or radio instructions from a customer or customer service representative or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement, or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conduct the movement of railcars and trains
- Observe, interpret, and relay arm, lantern, or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train
- Operate track switches (visually check switch condition and direction) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main railroad; apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties
- Read and understand the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions, and other written or printed material
- Prepare required daily reports and switch lists, manually or with a computer
- Inspect the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary
- Couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains
- Assist with other projects and perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Two years of work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or work experience
- Ability to work in a 24/7 work environment in outdoor working conditions
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- High school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of education and/or work experience
- Experience with heavy hand tools, and previous work in an outside environment a plus
- Valid driver’s license
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.