Hanson Professional Services Inc. is seeking a motivated candidate to fill a Transportation/Civil Engineer position in the McHenry, IL office. This is an Industry Market position.
Hanson Professional Services Inc. is a dynamic, employee-owned consulting firm of more than 400 employees providing a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, scientific, and allied services throughout the USA. We were #18 in the Multidiscipline category in the Zweig Group Best Firms to Work For.
This person will be eager to learn from experienced engineers on challenging railway, port, industrial park, and industrial plant railways projects, reporting to a project manager. Projects will typically involve planning, design and construction engineering including conceptual layout and planning, operational assessment/evaluation, track design, site development, piped utilities including storm and sanitary sewers and water mains, storm water detention facilities, and parking lots. Project assignments may also include streets, highways, and intersections.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
Field investigations, evaluations, planning, analysis, and design Preparation of calculations Preparation of technical reports Preparation of construction plans, specifications, and estimates On-site construction observation Interpreting plans for design intent Evaluating construction for compliance with contract documents Interacting with testing and engineering support personnel Other duties as assigned
- Expected to learn and then utilize: AutoCAD/Civil 3D and/or MicroStation/InRoads/GEOPAK/OpenRoads ; prior experience or training is preferred
- Familiarity with ArcGIS software a plus
- Must be able to communicate complex technical concepts to engineers, clients, and public stakeholders using good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to build effective relationships with internal and external client bases
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member to problem solve and learn new technical skills
- Interest in experiencing a variety of assignments is important
- Must also be self-motivated, friendly, positive, accurate, and pay strict attention to detail and direction
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with appropriate course work in the civil/transportation discipline; railroad specific coursework is preferred
- FE / EIT Certification or sit for and pass the exam within one year of employment
- Preferable: Prior internships or other work experience with railroad companies or consulting firms performing railroad planning, design or construction support services
- Desirable: Prior internships or other work experience with Departments of Transportation or consulting firms working on transportation projects (highways, streets, intersections, and site development)
- Desirable: Storm water design experience
Working at Hanson:
- Must be able to collaborate remotely with colleagues in other offices
- Candidate must be willing to accept out-of-town travel assignments
- Must be willing and able to work overtime to meet project demands and deadlines
- Must be willing to work as a team member in an extremely fast paced work environment
Contact: This is an Industry Market position. Interested and qualified applicants, other than Hanson employees, should apply online through the Hanson website, https://www.hanson-inc.com/careers.
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY — AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERANS