Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is accepting applications for a Tugboat License Engineer (Jacksonville and Panama City, FL; Houston, TX)
The Tugboat Licensed Engineer on Towing Vessels is responsible for preventive maintenance and repair on all motors, engines, generators, plumbing, electronic and electrical equipment onboard the vessel.
The successful candidate will have effective communication skills with the ability to express ideas, provide clear direction, ensure audience understanding through 3-way communication. Model and maintain a positive attitude and motivate and improve team morale. The Tugboat Licensed Engineer(s) will be a self-starter, motivated, and someone who actively monitors work outside of the control room. This position will be opened to all GLDD sites ranging from East Coast, Lakes and Rivers, and Gulf Coast locations!
The Tugboat Licensed Engineer of Towing Vessels is managed, assigned, and mentored by the Division Manager.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Perform troubleshooting and repair, both emergency and routine, on a wide variety of marine machinery and auxiliary equipment and systems such as propulsion machinery and attachments, gauges and alarm systems, shafting, rudders, deck machinery, pumps, steering gear, electrical power plants, compressors, MSD, plumbing and HVAC systems etc.
- Requisition engineering parts and supplies as required to maintain vessel operation.
- Perform troubleshooting and repair to minor electrical wiring systems, fixtures, controls and equipment.
- Maintain the daily engineering watch and log requirements. Ensure all pertinent information is logged and communicated.
- Conduct scheduled routine preventive maintenance as set forth in the Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company Preventive Maintenance Manual.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations during fueling operations not limited to vessel fueling operations and vessel trim.
- Participate in onboard safety drills and meetings.
- Assist with food preparation, assist in deck operations as required and general housekeeping.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skilled in the use of various small and large hand tools, portable machines, metering and measuring devices i.e., drills, grinders, cutting machines, feeler gauges, dial indicators, micrometers, calipers, visgages, hydrometers etc. as required by the trade.
- The ability to assess and determine the root cause of incidents.
- May lift, carry, pull or push items weighing up to 75 lbs. when making repairs or when handling materials, supplies and parts.
- The ability to operate a computer to carry out tasks associated with the job.
- The ability to learn and use the procedures associated with living on a vessel such as firefighting, first aid, and use of life saving equipment
- Must have a valid USCG Licensed Engineer of Designated Duty Engineer 4000hp
- A valid TWIC card is required
- Must have formal training in Caterpillar engines, John Deere, EMD engines, hydraulic systems, HVAC and electrical systems
- Must have formal rigging training
- Commitment to work safety and follow all safety policies and procedures
- A Tankerman endorsement preferred
- Dredging experience preferred
GLDD is a COVID-19 vaccination work environment, and you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination before you can access the company's office, yard, project sites, equipment or vessels.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company, LLC is the largest provider of dredging, land reclamation and beach nourishment services in the United States, and the only U.S. dredging company with significant international operations. With the largest and most diverse dredging fleet in the United States, Great Lakes serves a wide range of customers including the US Army Corps of Engineers, state, local and foreign governments, and private companies both international and domestic.
Headquartered in Houston, TX, GLDD has more than 200 pieces of ocean going, and inland dredging plant located strategically throughout North America and internationally.
Please click here to learn more or apply.
Learn more about Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company here.