Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Cooper Consolidated is a balanced, asset-based provider of midstream stevedoring, barge, marine, and logistics services. With operations based along the lower Mississippi River between Southwest Pass and Baton Rouge, we provide cargo handling and movements throughout the U.S. inland waterway system. Our expert team ensures your important cargo is safely transported from origin to destination while making the experience as easy and worry-free as possible.
At Cooper Consolidated, our goal is to be the leader in the cargo handling industry. The key to this rests squarely with our people, and the backbone of how our people operate is our unique culture. The CC Way - 28 principles of our high-performing culture - describes the values, behaviors, and practices that are the foundation of this culture. It's what makes us a leader in our industry.
This job is primarily responsible for the oversight of and directing staff performing tasks involved in stevedoring activities (e.g. unloading/loading of barges and Sea going vessels), as well as, advising and directing operations. Responsibilities primarily focused on working with a team to ensure safe, efficient and profitable operations.
In this job, you will:
- Fully participate in the company Safety Program; attend and lead pre-shift meetings; lead, monitor, coach and guide staff on safety to ensure activities performed are in accordance with the company safety program.
- Perform all duties within compliance of OSHA, company safety and environmental regulations; to include wearing the appropriate PPE for task being performed.
- Oversee and direct staff performing tasks in all barge and vessel processes (e.g. remove barge covers, load and unload commodities, etc.) to ensure efficient operations while loading and discharging vessels, while remaining in compliance with state and federal regulations; involves making independent decisions on various processes and procedures during shift.
- Lead, coach, and guide staff on customer service and operating costs.
- Manage staff performing barge and vessel loading/unloading safety procedures; assist in analyzing workload of all areas and assign or reassign personnel as needed.
- Communicate with vessel officers and marine fleets to ensure efficiencies are met for loading/unloading production.
- Regularly update Terminal Manager of operations status to include delays/production/Safety infractions or other hazards.
- Assist with managing inventory for equipment and supplies; ensure all are at adequate levels at all times.
- Oversee housekeeping duties in crane, on deck and load/unload areas.
- Ensure that all documentation and reports are accurately completed and in a timely manner, including required Safety correspondence in Cooperwork, daily logs and payroll time sheets.
- Communicate with customers and third parties in a professional manner, as required.
- Work with managers and provide input (which management gives particular weight to) into staffing and job development activities (training, employee corrective actions, pay raises, etc.); to develop, communicate and manage individual staff performance expectations that align with company goals.
- Manage equipment and labor expenses.
- Other duties as assigned.
Here’s what you’ll need to be considered:
Required – High school diploma or equivalent experience and training.
Required - 5 years' experience in stevedoring/marine industry; experience with management and customer relations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of facility cost structures, mix and blend analysis, safety, efficiency, preventive maintenance, OSHA, EPA, interest, freight.
- Strong knowledge of vessel stevedoring operations; including vessel operations, and barge handling.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of people within and outside the organization.
- Strong organizational, strategic planning, time management and multi-tasking skills, with ability to remain
- Flexible to changing priorities.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong planning skills.
- Ability to work effectively independently and/or within a team environment.
- Ability to utilize common sense to provide direction to others and assist others when needed.
Here’s additional information you need to know:
Physical Demands & Requirements
Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 lbs. frequently.
Ability to climb, crouch, stoop, bend, and squat, frequently.
Ability to stand and walk constantly/continuously.
Ability to balance constantly/continuously.
Ability to kneel occasionally.
Ability to safely walk on barge surface(s) with the ability to work around deep water.
Ability to understand and communicate verbally, in person and over two-way radio.
Ability to climb ladders and perform work at significant heights.
Ability to perform work in confined spaces.
Ability to work in an environment with high dust levels around grain and other bulk products.
Ability to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
Ability to work extended hours, weekend, holidays and/or alternate shifts as needed.
Uses peripheral vision and depth perception for tasks being performed.
The work environment described here are meant to be representative of those an employee would normally encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment.
Travel required for off-site training and/or working at alternate locations; can be up to 20% depending on facility location.
Are you ready to make a meaningful career move & an impact at Cooper Consolidated, LLC? Apply today!
Known in our industry for stability and high ethics, Cooper Consolidated, LLC offers a stellar benefits package including: an outstanding 401(k) retirement plan with company contributions, medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life, & disability benefits, flexible spending accounts, paid leave (holidays, vacation, sick), wellness programs, recognition programs, community involvement opportunities, and much more!
Cooper Consolidated, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO is the Law links in English or Spanish. We are unable to legally hire anyone who is not eligible to work in the United States nor are we able to sponsor visas.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
All Third Party Agencies, Headhunters, and Recruiters
Cooper Consolidated, LLC and its Subsidiaries only forms contracts with recruiters with whom we have an established relationship and with whom we have in place a signed contract. All contact from third parties must go through our Human Resources Department. Any contact made outside of our Human Resources Department by a third party will cancel any future business relationships between the third party and Cooper Consolidated, LLC and its Subsidiaries.
To learn more and apply for this position, click here.