The Captain of the Port New Orleans is issuing a series of Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) Safety Measures to protect persons and vessels from the potential safety hazards associated with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ construction of an emergency Saltwater Barrier Sill at Lower Mississippi River Mile Marker (MM) 63.8 Above Head of Passes (AHP). The following channel restrictions will be in effect beginning on October 11 at 0600:
- All vessels are limited to one way traffic from MM 63.65 to 63.91 AHP confined to a channel 500’ wide. The channel follows the Left Descending Bank (LDB) and is marked on the West side by four white buoys with fixed white all-around lights.
- All vessels transiting this zone shall check-in with, and take direction from the Contact Pilot onboard the T/V CAPT SAM 30 minutes prior to arrival on Channel 67.
- All vessels shall transit at their slowest safe speed between MM 63.5 to 65 AHP.
All vessels anchoring in Alliance Anchorage shall maintain a minimum 2,500’ separation from the J.S. CHATRY. Additionally, the northern most 600’ of the anchorage is closed. Vessels anchored may be required to vacate at the discretion of the Designated Representative.
The Contact Pilot is the Coast Guard’s Designated Representative.
These measures will remain in effect until rescinded/adjusted at a future date.
The channel buoy locations are as follows:
- 29 42 15.0979 N 089 58 40.1688 W MM 63.91 AHP
- 29 42 11.9103 N 089 58 38.5893 W MM 63.85 AHP
- 29 42 5.5483 N 089 58 35.3511 W MM 63.72 AHP
- 29 42 2.3915 N 089 58 33.7693 W MM 63.65 AHP
Kyle Arnaud is the Project Manager on site and can be reached at (337) 323-9373.
All are reminded that future draft restrictions may be required as a result of the sill’s final height. The U.S. Coast Guard will coordinate closely with the Army Corps of Engineers to provide updates as soon as that information becomes available.
Updates will be disseminated via VTS email distribution and/or Safety Broadcast Notice to Mariners. For further information, contact:
Sector New Orleans Command Center (24 hour): (504) 365-2545
Vessel Traffic Service (24 hour): (504) 365-2514, VHF FM Ch. 05A, 12, 67
Waterways Management: (504) 365-2280 or SecNOLA-WPM@uscg.mil