In 1859, a group of businessmen located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania formed The Pittsburgh Coal Exchange to promote the safety, health and transportation of the area's abundant coal supply. This organization grew and evolved; in 1967, the Waterways Association of Pittsburgh was chartered. Throughout the years, the focus changed from coal to steel to steel by-product. The patriarchs of the marine industries along the Monongahela, Allegheny and Upper Ohio River areas met monthly.
Waterways Association member companies transport more than 53 million tons of product annually through the Port of Pittsburgh. Our membership includes coal, steel, chemical and utility companies which work together to make the Port of Pittsburgh the second largest port in bulk materials transportation on the Inland River Systems.